After getting settled back in to our normal at-home routine it was time to get back to trying some new recipes. At some point during the past week we realized we never tried to cook Chicken Parmesan so we jumped at a relatively easy recipe and were off. Before we could start cooking we made a stop at Crate and Barrel and purchased some new oven safe baking dishes which we've never owned.
The recipe itself was extremely straightforward. We first whisked an egg and got a bowl ready for breadcrumbs. I then made a slight deviation on the recipe and added some extra seasoning that many in the recipes comment section recommended. The one step I didn't do which was a big miss was cutting the chicken breast in half (making a thinner piece) and also pounding the chicken out. Instead we left the breast as three big pieces, dipped them into egg and breadcrumbs and let them bake for 40 minutes.
When then took the chicken breast out and put them into one of our new baking dish with some Trader Joes pasta sauce and a ton of cheese for another twenty minutes. Everything turned out really well except for the fact that the chicken breast were to thick. Other then that I think if we do cook this again we will do everything else the same just make sure we have very thin pieces of chicken breast. We paired the chicken with some pasta and had a really great meal. I can absolutely see this making it into the weekly rotation for dinner.
- 1 Egg
- 2 oz of Dried Bread Crumbs
- 2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
- 16 oz of Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 oz of Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
- Pour egg into a small shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken into egg, then into the bread crumbs. Place coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Pour 1/2 of the spaghetti sauce into a 7x11 inch baking dish. Place chicken over sauce, and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses on top and return to the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Recipe Source: AllRecipes.com