Chef Joel & Jenn: Shredded Chicken Tacos
Jake has been telling me that the best way to make chicken tacos is in the crock pot. I've been hesitant as all of the chicken I've done previously in the crock pot has always dried out. The last go at it was the Tikka Masala which had a ton of ingredients and turned out good but quite dry. Needless to say we were skeptical going into this recipe.
The good news is that this couldn't be an easier recipe to pull off. I put chicken thighs at the bottom of the crock pot then put some taco seasoning on top of the chicken and then dumped an entire can of salsa on top. I closed the lid of the crock pot and let the chicken cook for four hours. Three hours in I did take the lid off and shred the chicken with two forks to get it ready for our tacos. I served the tacos with corn tortillas cheese and cut up avocado as well as a Spanish rice.
The good news is this is one of the easiest and tastiest recipes we've ever made. The chicken which cooked for exactly for 4 hours was absolutely incredible. It was incredibly moist and soaked up a lot of the flavor from the salsa and the taco seasoning. The chicken was perfect and had so much flavor. With a little cheese, some avocado and hot sauce and we had restaurant style tacos. We both cleaned our plates and are already planning on putting this in the weekly rotation for weekday dinners.
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts (we used chicken thighs)
- 1 1.25-ounce packet low-sodium taco seasoning (make sure no MSG)
- 1 16-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- Place chicken in the bottom of the crock-pot.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
- Pour salsa on top.
- Cook on low (for 6-8 hours) or high (for 4 hours).
- Just before serving, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Stir to evenly distribute salsa throughout chicken.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Recipe Source: Jake & TwoHealthyKitchens.com