Chef Joel & Jenn: Roasted Italian Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes
Its already been a month since our last recipe for Chef Joel & Jenn where we recreated an incredible Spaghetti Carbonara. Have I mentioned how much I miss Europe? The last month or so how has been insanely busy (a lot more on that in a future post) but finally we found some relief two days before Christmas to try a new dish. One of my favorite things to cook are what are labeled as one pot meals. Its just easier. There is less prep, less cooking, and less cleanup. So when I stumbled upon this recipe I knew we had to try it.
The original recipe was actually a Roasted Chicken Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes recipe but I decided to substitute the chicken sausage for an Italian sausage. Doesn't it sound better already? The only real work involved in this recipe is prepping. The first step is throwing the sausage in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, you might want to do an hour. Its impossible to cut otherwise. Then its just prepping all the rest of the ingredients. Jenn halved all the potatoes and minced the garlic, while I chopped the peppers and onion. Once we had everything cut up and put into the pan, mix with all seasonings and put it into the oven for 45 minutes and 400 degrees and like magic we had dinner.
It turned out to be a pretty good meal. The only problem I had with this recipe was how to plate it. At the time Jenn was busy doing something else so I just plopped everything on a plate. It wasn't the best presentation but it was a good hearty meal all the same. I felt like we needed something else in the dish though. Maybe some asparagus or other vegetables. Maybe next time.
- 1 (20 oz.) package Italian Chicken Sausage, uncooked and cut into 1-inch pieces (I substituted this for Italian Sausage)
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, halved
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium red or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut sausage into 1-inch chunks (cutting is easiest when sausage is partially frozen).
- Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Combine raw sausage pieces, potatoes, bell peppers, onion and garlic on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Toss to coat evenly. Spread ingredients out in a single layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until sausage is fully cooked and vegetables (incl. potatoes) are tender.
Recipe Source: The Comfort of Cooking